Sunday, February 26, 2012

Healthy chocolate? Hmmmm.....


I am on a quest. In my endeavors to eat healthy, I have been searching for good food. Not boxes of processed foodstuff that has been labeled healthy because it is supposed to have less sodium or less fat ( they probably added more sugar to make it taste better or some artificial flavor that was concocted in a lab). Not recipes for food that promise to be healthy and help you lose weight but it tastes terrible and has low fat ingredients that have added "stuff" to make it creamy or thick or whatever. Have you ever read the ingredients in some of that stuff? It scares me to death. I want to eat food that is healthy and I know what every ingredient is. You know, things like milk, whole wheat flour, olive oil, salt, tomatoes etc. I signed up for a weekly email at Vintage Remedies that is entitled "8 weeks to real food" which I highly recommend for anyone interested in eating good healthy food. You can find them at vintageremedies.com and can sign up under the events tab. There have been some great recipes and ideas in these emails. I have also been using Pinterest for some new recipes and that is where this little goodie came from. I love a little something sweet in the afternoon with a good cup of tea, or a little something for dessert. This is a problem because sugar is not healthy and certainly doesn't help you lose weight. This recipe is from Chocolate covered Katie's blog found here:

German Chocolate Fudge Bites

It has lots of good healthy stuff and I know what everyone of them is. Dates, cocoa, coconut ( I used unsweetened),salt, vanilla, pecans. Pretty darn tasty too. Just the thing for an afternoon cup of tea. Something else I am finding is that real food fills me up with less and for longer periods of time. That has to be good for weight loss. I did add a little bit of coconut oil to the mixture because mine was too dry to mold into the little balls. Not the prettiest little goodie, but yummy.

When I think of eating healthy, I think of Daniel in the old testament who chose to eat healthy food (fruits and vegetables) instead of the rich unhealthy food.

Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, “Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days. At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead. Daniel 1: 11-16.

I think God blesses us when we choose to make healthy food choices and live a healthy lifestyle. It is not easy, and I am certainly not a great example of this. I just keep hanging in there and praying about these issues in my life. I hope that if you too are on a quest for a healthier lifestyle, whatever changes you want to make, you will join me in prayer and we will get this!

Wishing you much love and many blessings, and good health!

Stace

No comments:

Post a Comment